Tuesday, October 8, 2013

From a Farmer's Eyes

Today, as I was driving home from school, I was following an old, white pick up truck down the road I thought of something I wanted to share...

As the truck meandered down the road ahead of me, moving more slowly than I would have liked, in my hurry to get home, I took notice of the driver. The way the sun was in the sky, I could clearly see the driver in the truck...a man, wearing a baseball cap. And, he was, undoubtedly, a farmer. As he drove, his head turned from side to side, from field to field, along the way.

My grandpa's a farmer. When he and my grandmother were married fifty years ago the built up their now thriving dairy farm from scratch. My grandpa is a farmer, through and through. It's always the joke in our family that when you meet him on the road and give him a big wave, he never returns the gesture. No, not because he's rude. He just doesn't see you. When I was in high school, waiting for the bus at the end of our long lane way he drove by us nearly every morning, yet he never once noticed us.

Okay, so maybe this should be a little frightening, him being so oblivious. But, the reason he never sees us is because he's to busy looking around. He isn't being nosy or anything, he's just taking in all the fields and livestock he passes on his way to wherever he may be headed. So, yes, maybe it should be of concern that his eyes are anywhere but the road... maybe driving isn't the best time to be taking in the sights.

However, I think there's a lesson to be learned from this farmer I followed home, and from my grandpa...

They, as the saying goes, "stop and smell the roses", so to speak. I mean, they aren't literally smelling roses, but they are constantly aware of the marvels God has bestowed to us, and that we have the blessing of living in the midst of! They are taking in the beauty of fields being planted, of new life being born, of the damp soil after a mid-summer rain, of the smell of the hay, of the crops being harvested and of the first dusting of snow. They take it all in, and marvel at His glory...maybe they don't even know they're doing it. It just comes as easily as breathing. I think we should all do that-enjoy the world around it. Often we get some caught up in getting where we're going that we forget to take notice of the journey.

Today's challenge- Stop. Take a moment to note God glory around us, right where we are at this moment. Breath in His mystery and magnificence, and thank Him. And, since fall is so incredibly lovely and colourful, this shouldn't be to challenging!

Wishing you a beautiful and blessed day.


Emily xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment