Saturday, March 8, 2014

Impending Doom...

Lent began on Wednesday. I hope yours is going well so far. 

Today, I was thinking about how I feel about Lent. When I know Lent is approaching I feel my heart fill with impending doom... I suppose it's natural. I mean, I am human. I don't like to be uncomfortable. Who does? I like eating what I want, when I want it and to drink what I please and to do things that are excessive and fun. So, of course the thought of Lent is somewhat depressing... I am about to make choices about how I will be uncomfortable for, not an hour or two or even a week or two, but for 40 days. That's a long time.

Please, tell me I am not the only one who feels this way! Please!

Although it's human nature to enter Lent with these feelings it doesn't mean it is good for me. My goal this Lent is to view it with more joy. To just be altogether more joy-filled. So, how will I do this you ask?

1. I once had a priest who used to say that we should live this Lent as if it's our last. Now, that doesn't sound all that joyful. But, I need to start viewing this Lent as my last opportunity to re-shape my spirituality & to create the Emily that God intended. That should be a task that is delightful (hard- but amazing!)! 

2. Remind myself, ALL THE TIME, that my fasting from meat, cleaning the bathroom or waking up early are a wimpy little sacrifices in comparison to say, dying on a cross.

3. Viewing Lent as an opportunity, not a task. This is a chance to let God kick my spiritual butt & whip me into shape. It's a chance to make changes and become better.

4. Count my blessings. Lent tends to consume us (or, at least me) with thoughts of what we are doing without and we often forget that we have been given so much. I mean, just look around yourself right now. I can make a list a mile long of all the things around me I am thankful for, but I never view the world in that way. If I take time to count my blessings this Lent I will be unable to contain my joy. 

How will you find joy this Lent?

Emily xo

No comments:

Post a Comment