Monday, January 7, 2013

When I Grow Up...

Happy Monday, everyone. Today, for most people, is the day they head back to school or work after the beautiful Christmas holidays. I hope you have a smooth transition into 2013 wherever you find yourself today!

Today, at work, a woman I know was in and we were chatting. She was asking if I had attended post secondary school after my year on NET. I told her that, no, I haven't. I have however, applied to schools for the fall of 2013.

We were talking about school and life and just basically solving all the problems of the world. Hee hee :)

She told me that she attended college after she graduated from high school, and that she barely used her diploma. She worked for a little bit, then moved home and got a totally unrelated job. Now, she has a beautiful family and her 'job' is being 100% committed to them.

I grew up in a home where my Mom stayed home with the children. After I was born my Mom never really worked (with the exception of a short stint of supply teaching at my elementary school) outside of our home. She still is a stay at home Mom, because my youngest sister is still only two. I took for granted that my Mom was always home with me. She home schooled me and a few of my siblings for a few years, and had she been working full time that would not have been an option.

The woman that was in at work today, let's call her Susan, was saying that people have been asking her lately what she's going to do now that all of her children are in school. I mean, from people who have never experienced what it is like to have or be a stay at home Mom, I suppose it could seem quite strange that someone would stay at home when the kids are away at school.

But, here's the thing. The work doesn't stop because the kids get on the bus and are gone for six hours, five days a week. If your home is anything like my parent's house was when I was growing up, then it is probably a giant mess by the time the kids are out the door. There is constant cleaning to be done, endless piles of laundry and heaps of dirty dishes. There are prayers to be said for your family. There are beds to be made. There are "to-do" and grocery lists to be made. There are groceries to be bought and meals to be made. There are schedules to make and hockey games to get ready for. There are school plays and classroom volunteering. There are sick kids and forgotten lunches. And, in six short hours there will be hungry little children scampering into the house with more energy then you know what to do with from sitting in a classroom all day. There will be a husband coming home from a long day at work who will need some supper. There will heads that need to be kissed, prayers that need to be said, stories to be read and blankets to be tucked in.

The work does not stop because your children are gone for a few hours. In fact, it provides (for the most part) uninterrupted work time. Stop for a second today and recognize who ever it is who does all of those things in your home, because they have a very, very hard duty.

When Susan was here today we were talking about something her daughter said to her. Her nine year old said, "Mom I am so glad we're not rich." When asked what she meant, she said, "Because if we were rich that would mean you would have to work, and we wouldn't see you that much." If a nine year old can see this reality so clearly, why does the rest of the world criticize it? I think it's because they just don't get it.
Susan said she is trying to raise good, holy, Catholic children, and she could not leave that up to a babysitter or the teachers. That job is in the home. If her family was "rich" because she was working out of the home, how hard would it be to raise good, faithful children? I know it can be done, but for her family (and for my family) it just would not work.

I am, by no means, saying there is anything wrong with being a career woman. I realize that some people are just not called to be home makers, and that in some cases staying home with your children is financially, not an option. I am saying though, that there is something to be said for the value of a solid traditional family, and having a breadwinner and a home maker.

Here's to all you hard working, stay at home Mommas out there. God bless you for what you do! And as a product of a truly traditional family, thank you! More then anything, when I grow up I want to be even half the Momma my Mother is. You are a beautiful inspiration to me, all of you!

Love and prayers,

Em xo

No comments:

Post a Comment