Thursday, October 17, 2013

Love Conquers All

When I was on NET (see the NET Ministries tab at the top if you aren't familiar with NET) there was a huge emphasis, not only on youth ministry, but also on team life. Since I was living in close quarters with my five team members, and seeing them literally every day all day it was crucial I learn what being a member of a team really is.

I mean, I have been parts of groups and organizations before, but nothing compared to this. We would always joke that it's like marriage preparation. During our training for NET there was also training specifically on how to love our team members, even when we hated them. It's a funny statement, I know. But, how do we do that? How do we love someone who is so completely different than us and with who we are constantly butting heads?

It is hard.


Loving like Jesus loves, seeing Jesus in those around us and loving Him in that other person, praying for grace to love even when it's hard, and making everything you do about sacrifice is the only way one can do this. Every morning I prayed for my team. I prayed for their needs, for their desires, for the burdens on their hearts. I prayed that I would know how to love them that day, and that my love would help heal their broken pieces. I prayed that God would have mercy on my brokenness every day. I begged Him to teach me, every day, how to love like He loves. I asked for the grace to see His face in the face of my team mates, even at the heart of a heated disagreement. And, I made my life about sacrifice. I learned how to give up myself to serve my teammates. Jesus opened my heart to see that the ultimate sacrifice was His death on the cross for my sins, and that my entire life needed to be a series of sacrifices, small in comparison to the cross, that would ultimately lead me and those I encounter to the foot of His cross, with open arms and an open heart.


We referred to the girls on the team as the "sisterhood" and the boys as the "brotherhood". Not only did I try to constantly serve my sisters and brothers on my team individually, but we also tried to serve as a 'hood. The girls would get together and plan something to honour, thank and life up our brothers. We wrote them songs, cooked for the, brought them coffees, and had nerf gun wars with them. We also made sure they could have time together, as brothers, to bond. And, our brothers did the same for us. They made us gifts, brought us roses, wrote us notes, thanked us for our love and opened doors. It didn't matter if it was big or small things, but we made a point of serving one another.

So what did this do? Not only did my relationship with each of my team members become strengthened, but they also lead and challenged my to get closer to Jesus, and have a new zeal for faith. We now live in all corners of the country and are doing many different things...one is in the seminary, one is in school, one is working for NET...we are all separated by miles and time. However, the relationship I have with each of them is deeper than any friendship I have ever had in my life. I know, without a doubt, that they pray for me. I know the moment I need them they will be here-in person or in prayer. I know I can confide in them and seek wisdom from them. I know they will love me, despite any difference we have or argument we encounter. I know that because of how our relationships were formed on NET that we are as close as family.

I believe having a common faith is the greatest gift in any relationship-be it dating of friendship. It allows a whole new depth, dimension and meaning to the relationship. It eases any doubt that you will be abandoned by them, or that you will get hurt. You know that any rift or separation that forms in your relationship can be bridged because, at the end of the day, you both come back to the same values, to the same God.

That is the greatest gift.

So I challenge you, with your spouse or boyfriend, best friend and worst enemy...serve them. Do little, extraordinary things. Make sure they know you love them, and that you are leading them to the cross. Make sure they know you're always calling them to greater, more beautiful things. And, above all, pray for them. Love them even when they hate you, and especially when you hate them. Love them passionately, deeply, perfectly and beautiful. Love them with the grace of God because Jesus is in them.

To my beautiful team...I adore you, thank you for all you've taught me. I am praying for you, always.

Emily xo

No comments:

Post a Comment