Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Five Things I Would Tell My Sixteen Year Old Self

After grade nine (which was miserable) I really enjoyed my high school experience, for the most part. But, I remember often finding myself torn between God's love and mercy and the secular-minded world was pushing in the face of a weak, impressionable sixteen year old. I was trying to figure out where I fit in school and in the world, and how I could accept and embrace the cross that I carried, being Catholic in a confused, angry world.

Like every sixteen year old in the world (or, at least I hope I was like every other sixteen year old!) I failed. Over and over again I messed up, cried, begged for forgiveness and proceeded to fail again.

Here's what I would tell myself at sixteen:

1. People will hate you. That probably wasn't the vote of confidence you were hoping would start off this list, but it is probably the most true and most important thing here. I want you to know that if you live the life you are called to, if you live like a Princess by following our King, if you love despite the hate and forgiveness in the midst of pain people will despise you and persecute you. I wish I could tell you it gets easier...it doesn't. As you get older people will hate you with more passion. They will threaten you and tell you you're ignorant. And, my dear, it will be worth it.


"If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world it would love you as it's own. But I have chosen you out of the world, so you don't belong to it. That is why the world hates you." John 15:18-19

2. Be patient, you will find people who treasure and adore you. Yes, the world will persecute you. But, others will look up to you and adore you. Cling to these people and they will be your greatest treasure. We were not made to live this life of faith alone and we need community and support. Surround yourself with these people, learn from them, teach them, pray with and for them. 
"For where two or three are gathered together in My name, there am I in the midst of them."        ~ Matthew 18:20 ~
"Where two or three gather in my name, there I am with them." Matthew 18:20

3. Be thankful. You are not too cool to say, "thank you". Don't kid yourself, people will walk away if you are not grateful for their presence in your life. Tell and show everyone you are thankful for them. People need to know they are needed, just as you need to know you are needed. Don't ever take advantage. Be thankful for every moment you are given and for every person in your life. You don't have forever. Most importantly, thank God. He is responsible for this beautiful life you have. Thank Him with every breath.

Be thankful
"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 1 Thessalonians 5:18


4. Forgive. People will hate you and hurt you. It's easy to get caught up in holding grudges. Trust me, it gets you no where. Holding on only makes you more miserable. Instead, ask God for the grace to love through your pain and forgive those who hurt you. That love will set you free. Learn from the hurt but don't let it define or consume you.


"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgive one another, as God in Christ forgave you." Ephesians 4:32

5. Never stop being passionate. You know what is right, what is good, what you love and what you don't. Be passionate about those things and don't let anyone tell you that you are wrong. God has given you the grace to know these things and do find passion for them. Don't let anyone put out your light!




*I hope these inspire you today! Happy Tuesday!

Emily xo


No comments:

Post a Comment