Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Father, Forgive Me


1 John 1:9


"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

Confession is one the truly beautiful gifts the Catholic Church gives us. It is a chance for us to send our human pride running, and set our hearts free. I am so incredibly thankful for this gift, and for the graces I receive from it. I wanted to give a brief reflection of Reconciliation, and it's crucial presence in our lives.

I remember when I made my First Reconciliation. It was kind of like the first time you get on a bicycle without training wheels. You are so excited, but there is an anxiety in your heart because of the guarantee that you will fall, be vulnerable and embarrassed before getting up and rising to the occasion and becoming better and better. 

It is so humbling to sit before another human, in whom God is residing, and say, "I messed up...again!" The first time I went to Confession I was terrified, and excited, and I had the expectation that after the first time the anxiety would ease up, and every other time I went I would feel nothing but excitement for the forgiveness of my sins. But, here I am, nearly 13 years later, and the anxiety is still very real. 

It does not get any easier to sit before a Priest in the Sacrament of Confession and admit every little thing you have done wrong. When I sit on the hard, wooden Church pews before entering the confessional I always strive to do a thorough examination of my conscience. It is one of the most painful and rewarding things in life. To make a good confession we have to rip off every band aid on our soul, look deep into the wounds and bring to mind every sword we have pierced our souls with.

Then we enter the Confessional, and we bare to our King every wounded part of our soul and plead for Him to remove the daggers that pierced us. This is so humbling, and cleansing, but the real relief comes when we are absolved of those daggers and our Saviour cleanses our wounds with the blood He shed from the Cross, and when He challenges us to keep our wounds healed and to never again allow Satan close to us with his daggers and temptation.

Sin is part of our lives. We mess up, every single day, over and over again. We are human, and not without sin. Being able to look into our selves and see where we have allowed Satan to rule is important, because although sin is part of our lives, we don't have to let it consume us. Confession provides a place for us to apologize and start over with a clean slate. It is okay to acknowledge our imperfections, but it is not okay to give into them. 

No matter how long it's been, find yourself a priest and make an appointment with him to hear your Confession. It's never too late to start living again!

Prayers and love,

Emily xo

No comments:

Post a Comment