Monday, August 26, 2013

Catholic Canadian? Can I be Both?

I am a Canadian, and a Roman Catholic. I take pride in both of these facts, but have discovered that one, by far, outweighs the other when it comes to how I live my life & how I define myself. Sometimes I cannot be both a Canadian AND a Catholic.

           

What does it mean to be a Canadian Citizen?
According to the Canadian Government it means to have these values;
Equality, Respect for Cultural Differences, Freedom, Peace, Law & Order.

Does that not make this nation sound like some sort of Utopia? Yes, of course it does. That is why we are so multicultural (Google "what does it mean to be a Canadian"- you will find tons of articles headlining that we are multicultural).

Equality sounds lovely, doesn't it? In the Government article linked above it describes equality in this way;

We respect everyone's rights. Everyone has the right to speak out and express ideas that others might disagree with. Governments must treat everyone with equal dignity and respect- two other fundamental Canadian values. 

Perfect? Well, maybe not. Here is the thing-everyone is not equal. They should be, but they are not. This nation has taken equality to mean that every person should have the rights to live as the wish, not as they should. And, as a Roman Catholic, I often disagree with how they go about this.

For example- I believe that homosexuality is spiritually immoral. I believe it to be sinful, detrimental to society, a mental illness/imbalance. I believe homosexuality is wrong. Always.

Now, I believe people who are homosexual deserve to be treated with the same dignity and respect as every other person on the planet, but I also believe that they are living lives of hardship, sin (if they are practicing their homosexuality), and lives that can, ultimately, destroy their souls.

I know it is my responsibility, as a Catholic, striving for Heaven, to help, guide, and encourage them on paths that will get them to Heaven (God willing). This means I still speak kind words, I still open doors for them. It means I visit with them and befriend them. It means I live my life in a way that exemplifies the teachings of the Catholic Church, in every aspect of my life. It means that I may never have to use words to tell them that the cross they've been given in life, like all our crosses, can lead them far from the gates of Heaven. It means my very life will, hopefully, be ministry enough to bring them home to our God.

As a Canadian, I am expected to smile & say, "good for them!" as Pride Parades sweep our nation every summer. It means I am not permitted to be uncomfortable by public displays of affection, involving two people of the same gender (even if I would be repulsed by the same display between a man & a woman). It means I cannot say that I believe homosexuality is a temptation, a cross, or a sin.

As a Canadian, I am expected to take the meaning of "equality" as everyone is the same, and others may live their lives as the wish- be it as homosexuals, pro-abortionist, those engaging in pre/post-marital sex...the list goes on.

As a Catholic, I believe everyone person is given crosses to bear in life. We struggle with different temptations for sin, and battle interior battles often. Homosexuality is one of those crosses. It is a temptation. I acknowledge that. I am always amazed when I hear stories of men & women who struggle with homosexuality, and are able to choose lives of chastity and purity. What a challenge that must be! See, homosexuals are called to lives of purity & chastity, the same as every other single person, dating, engaged and married couple are (here for more information). To not live in that way is a sin. No ifs, ands or buts.

As a Catholic I know that equality means treating everyone as my brother & sister, and loving them, despite their imperfections. I know it means encouraging & helping others out of their temptations for sin & into lives of fulfillment and faith. It means leaning on my brothers & sisters in Christ when I am weak & struggling with my own crosses.It does not mean applauding behavior that is morally detrimental, but rather calling people out of that and into lives where they can be truly happy.

As a traditionally Christian nation, I understand what the Canadian government is striving for. They have taken good, solid Christian values into account when building up this country but they are misinformed on how to properly execute their implementation into our Provinces and Territories. We have taken everything to an extreme to avoid stepping on anyone's toes or insulting anyone. Those are good intentions. However, they have forgotten to take into account that maybe not all behaviors, ways of life, procedures and ideas are appropriate, life-giving, fulfilling and good. Every good society needs restrictions, guide lines and rules. We are imperfect humans, all of us, and we cannot live without rules of some kind. So, where does this "to each his own" mentality draw it's line? It seems very blurry to me...

-Emily xo


No comments:

Post a Comment